[WikiEN-l] MediaWiki is getting a new programming language

Judson Dunn cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Thu Jul 2 19:16:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Can someone explain in layman's terms what this programming language
> thing is and how it relates to templates?

It would replace the nightmare parserfunction language in the more
complex templates. Here is a random example of one of those type:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Backlognav_inner&action=edit

It would replace that with something like PHP, javascript, Lua etc.
(real languages) We might even get syntax highlighting!

If you don't make or edit these templates it's no big deal to you, it
might allow the templates to be even more useful, but definitely won't
make them worse. If you do it will be helpful.

Personally any of the listed alternatives are so superior I don't have
any preference. :D

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion