[WikiEN-l] BLPs: Wikipedia entry nearly scuppers rugby player's career

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 2 18:34:40 UTC 2008

"Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)" wrote

> I will be dismayed if anyone still believes that the
> potential harm that our articles may cause to their living subjects by, for
> example, invading the privacy of borderline-notable living people,
> is something that should receive no attention in making our content
> decisions.

Ah, well, there are some millions of such people online, at a rough guess. And there are some who are Wikipedians. so dismay would be the order of the day. As it has been for three years or so ...

Just amounts to a substantiation of the need for WP:BLP. But let's look also at notability and the issue of deletion processes. Not really an easy one - I'd be more inclusive of living academics, less so in popular culture and sport.

Charles