[WikiEN-l] Are movie trailers "free enough" for Commons?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 2 17:27:45 UTC 2008

> geniice at gmail.com writes:
>
> Most  life+whatever laws have not technically been tested so rejecting
> statute  law until we have some case law isn't  practical.

"Life + whatever" is clear enough that it is less likely to be
challenged directly, but there are any number of conceivable bases for
an indirect challenge:
    * Does the plaintiff have a right of action as a direct heir of the
author's rights?
    * Do the laws of a different country with a different "whatever"
come in to play?
    * Does fair use apply?
    * Did  a joint author already act to license the work or put it into
the public domain?
    * etc.

Ec