[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 13:18:06 UTC 2008

Tony Sidaway wrote:
> On 04/03/2008, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  The bigger problem are the allegations mentioned in the article about
>>  use of foundation funds.  Three specific claims are made:
>>  -Jimbo tried to expense a $300+ bottle of wine
>>  -Jimbo tried to expense a massage parlor visit
>>  -Wikimedia foundation took away Jimbo's credit card.
>>

> I don't see the big deal here.  Employees are entitled to fill in
> expenses forms and their employers are permitted to say "Sorry Jimmy,
> that's just outrageous".
>
> The Foundation's finances are public and I've no doubt there will be
> some combing through past expenditure by enterprising journalists.
> It's even possible that there is some evidence of serious financial
> mismanagement in there.

About the possible "serious financial mismanagement", I would like to
remind that the years concerned were fully audited by an independant
company. I would expect that an audit would reveal anything of the
sort... it is not exactly as if our organizational structure was
terribly complicated to study and analyse :-)

  Meanwhile this is a dreadfully minor matter
> and is being treated as a "those crazy internet geeks" story by the
> press.

yeah