[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:24:18 UTC 2008

On 04/03/2008, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The bigger problem are the allegations mentioned in the article about
>  use of foundation funds.  Three specific claims are made:
>  -Jimbo tried to expense a $300+ bottle of wine
>  -Jimbo tried to expense a massage parlor visit
>  -Wikimedia foundation took away Jimbo's credit card.

I don't see the big deal here.  Employees are entitled to fill in
expenses forms and their employers are permitted to say "Sorry Jimmy,
that's just outrageous".

The Foundation's finances are public and I've no doubt there will be
some combing through past expenditure by enterprising journalists.
It's even possible that there is some evidence of serious financial
mismanagement in there.  Meanwhile this is a dreadfully minor matter
and is being treated as a "those crazy internet geeks" story by the
press.