[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Screamer scream at datascreamer.com
Thu Mar 6 13:27:28 UTC 2008

Tony Sidaway wrote:
> On 04/03/2008, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  The bigger problem are the allegations mentioned in the article about
>>  use of foundation funds.  Three specific claims are made:
>>  -Jimbo tried to expense a $300+ bottle of wine
>>  -Jimbo tried to expense a massage parlor visit
>>  -Wikimedia foundation took away Jimbo's credit card.
>>

> I don't see the big deal here.  Employees are entitled to fill in
> expenses forms and their employers are permitted to say "Sorry Jimmy,
> that's just outrageous".
>
> The Foundation's finances are public and I've no doubt there will be
> some combing through past expenditure by enterprising journalists.
> It's even possible that there is some evidence of serious financial
> mismanagement in there.  Meanwhile this is a dreadfully minor matter
> and is being treated as a "those crazy internet geeks" story by the
> press.

Well, kindof.  Here is what happens in my work.  Employee files expense
report.  Accounting says no.  Seems simple.  The first time.

The second time, employee files expense report, accounting says no.  At
this point, accounting has forwarded the information to HR and the
employees supervisor.  The supervisor has options available at the point.

Of course, each corporation is different.
./scream