[WikiEN-l] Citizendium hits 5000 articles

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 23 21:08:12 UTC 2008

"Thomas Dalton" wrote

> > It seems like they do have something of a systemic bias problem. Not that
> > en:wiki doesn't, but I doubt it's as bad as citizendium's.
>
> I expect both projects have a similar systematic bias, but it's really
> just a matter of priorities, rather than anything permanent.

Cough ... exactly how many articles does Citizendium have in German? Wikipedia (the project) wins that match 600,000-nil. The _priority_ for Citizens of non-English articles is where?

> We're
> naturally going to prioritise articles relevant to the
> English-speaking world. There are far more than 5000 articles relevant
> to the English-speaking world, so Citizendium hasn't got around to
> other articles yet, Wikipedia already has all the obviously important
> articles that we consider high priority, so we've started on the lower
> priority ones.

I doubt that's really the position. CZ has _installed_ some extra bias by its requirements to edit. I think that's just a fair observation on defining "systemic bias", meaning bias in coverage that is an unintended consequence of the composition of the community.

Anyway a brief surf around the place would suggest that its more "writerly" feel (as opposed to "editorly", which is what WP does quite well) has consequences, too.

Charles