[WikiEN-l] Can we think about trying the "show" solution?

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Sat Feb 23 18:06:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Raphael Wegmann <raphael at psi.co.at> wrote:
> cohesion schrieb:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Raphael Wegmann <raphael at psi.co.at> wrote:
>  >>  Thank you Andrew for your effort. Unfortunately it doesn't seem
>  >>  like any of those zealots is willing to compromise. Appeasing
>  >>  the no-censorship fundamentalists looks like mission impossible.
>  >
>  > I don't believe we have to make a concession to censorship to show
>  > that we are thinking about what we are doing. Reasonable people may
>  > disagree. I have thought about my viewpoint at length. I think the
>  > general population sees our decision not to censor Wikipedia not as an
>  > indication that we haven't thought about the issue, but that we have,
>  > and that we have come to the right conclusion. This is reflected in
>  > general talk on the internet, and emails sent to otrs.
>  >
>  > Calling us zealots and fundamentalists gets us no where.
>
>  Do you feel offended?

No, I was only trying to help reach a consensus.

>  > We might be
>  > able to reach a compromise, but it's not going to be conceding 100% to
>  > what the anonymous web petition wants. Maybe we could educate people
>  > in how to hide images themselves.
>
>  Do you want me to educate you, how you could filter my emails?
>
> You probably wouldn't have much opposition in a purely educational
>  stance, do you?
>
>  Honestly. I have real difficulties to assume good faith,
>  when you consider a show/hide link censorship, because
>  it simply isn't. And not realizing a widespread disagreement
>  with those images looks like ignorance to me.
>
>  br
>  --
>  Raphael

Hmm, I don't usually respond to incivility, but why not. I was trying
to offer a compromise, for example a link under controversial images
explaining how they could be hidden. I don't see that the snippy quips
about how I can filter your emails helps promote this discussion.
Also, I find it very hard to believe you can't assume good faith when
there are many people in this thread alone that have stronger opinions
about this than myself. And sending this only to me is just childish,
bullying won't get the results you want.

I'm not responding to any further emails from you, but I certainly am
more prone to support the neutral inclusionist group now that I am
more familiar with the tactics used by the other side. Anonymous
religious petitioners and bullies, or people concerned with free open
information...

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion