[WikiEN-l] Inside the iconophobic mind - a survey proposal.

Ben Yates ben.louis.yates at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:33:35 UTC 2008

I think the survey is a great idea, but you should probably get it
translated into other languages -- or write a much simpler version,
like this one, that would be easier for non-native speakers to
understand (plus a header to put it in context).

* * *

Hello, Wikipedia has received your letter about the images of
muhammad.  We want to know more about what you think!

Read the statements that come next.  You can help us by telling us if
you agree with these statements.  If you totally agree, answer the
statement with the number 10; if you totally disagree, answer with the
number 0.  If you don't totally agree or totally disagree, answer with
a number between 0 and 10.

a) If a website shows an ancient drawing depicting the prophet
Muhammad, this hurts me emotionally, and the emotional hurt is a part
of my everyday life.

b) If a website shows an ancient drawing depicting the prophet
Muhammad, this hurts my religious feelings but the hurt is not part of
my everyday life.

c) No website should be allowed to show ancient images depicting
Muhammad, even if those websites are not from muslim countries or
written by muslims.

d) It is so important to stop people from showing ancient images
depicting Muhammad that it is okay to threaten those people with
physical violence.

e) If Wikipedia would provide a way for me to turn off these images so
that I would never see them, but other people would still see them,
this would be okay.

f) If Wikipedia would remove these images from the regular article
about Muhammad, but put them into another page instead, this would be
okay.

g) Wikipedia should use its own ideas to decide how to illustrate its
articles: 0 - 10

h) Wikipedia should only remove drawings Muhammad that show him without a veil.

i) Wikipedia should remove every drawing of Muhammad

j) Wikipedia should should remove every drawing of Muhammad, and also
every other image that shows any person

j) If Wikipedia keeps the drawings of Muhammad online, it will cause
disturbances among Muslims

k) Wikipedia should maintain articles about Islam using facts and a
neutral way of thinking.

Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com