[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 20:13:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> So what happens when our editors start using their access to copy
> public domain works hijacked by JSTOR into Wikisource when the
> contract Wikimedia has with JSTOR forbids that activity?  Will
> Wikimedia tell its contributors that they can't copy these
> indisputably public domain works into Wikisource?

Would such a restriction really be a major disaster? Limited access to
content for which we previously had no access? Sometimes achieving a worthy
goal requires a compromise, and in this case it doesn't strike me as an
unnacceptable compromise (even granting full credit to your description of
the status of things, which I imagine probably has some ambiguity you are
leaving out).

> Why does it seem that no one in this thread is bothering to even
> consider attaching to pre-existing university library access? Must we
> always reinvent the wheel?

That is an interesting possibility - is that achievable? Would interpreting
an existing set of agreements between publishers and a university as
authorizing that institution to grant access to Wikimedia editors be
something that any major university is willing to do?

Something that DGG can perhaps comment on.

Nathan

Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia Foundation
today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate