[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Dec 24 20:39:42 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> So what happens when our editors start using their access to copy
> public domain works hijacked by JSTOR into Wikisource when the
> contract Wikimedia has with JSTOR forbids that activity?  Will
> Wikimedia tell its contributors that they can't copy these
> indisputably public domain works into Wikisource?

It may tell them to, but it can't enforce that.  Some Wikisourcerors are
already downloading something similar from the Royal Society Digital
Archives, which recently allowed a 3-month free access.

We can easily argue that we own a paper copy of the work  More
interesting though would be some sort of argument that those sections of
a contract which hijack copyrights on PD works are invalid as contrary
to public policy.  Alternatively, to what extent does a contract between
WMF and another corporation such as JSTOR bind volunteer contributors.

Ec