[WikiEN-l] Attributing "attribution required" free images

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Tue Oct 30 00:26:32 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell schreef:
> On Oct 29, 2007 8:12 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > IMHO consistency is not *that* important. A good solution could easily
> > have an "i" for en, and some
> > Chinese character on zh. If the symbol looks roughly the same (white text on
> > blue background, in the appropriate corner), that's good enough. "i" is
> > pretty well understood internationally anyway.
>
> It's true. Your suggestion is consistent enough. But now you've now
> taken it out of my ability to impliment.  Replacing a single icon is
> easy. Setting icons for 209 languages is much harder. ;)

This is the enwiki mailing list. Our first priority is to make it work
on the English Wikipedia, and to choose the alternative that is best
*for us*.

In my opinion, the (C) really gives the wrong impression. It will be
understood to mean: don't copy this image. Which is exactly the wrong
message for an encyclopedia that tries to be Free.

Eugene