[WikiEN-l] Attributing "attribution required" free images

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 00:43:37 UTC 2007

On Oct 29, 2007 8:26 PM, Eugene van der Pijll <eugene at vanderpijll.nl> wrote:
> This is the enwiki mailing list. Our first priority is to make it work
> on the English Wikipedia, and to choose the alternative that is best
> *for us*.

0_o

Is a solution which no one will bother implementing really best?

> In my opinion, the (C) really gives the wrong impression. It will be
> understood to mean: don't copy this image. Which is exactly the wrong
> message for an encyclopedia that tries to be Free.

The RED (C) probably does, I agree.  But the pale blue icon, the
example in the lower left corner?

The images are, in most cases, copyrighted.

When you copy them you have certain obligations.

If your entire understanding of your obligations is going to come from
a 15px wide icon, then I'd rather you think you can't copy the images.

How can we worry about respecting the authors on one hand but then
worry that we might shatter a reusers misconceptions about his
copyright obligations? ;)

> What do you think about our practice of only crediting text from third
> parties, then? Which was the point of my previous mail.

We don't, for the most part, provide inline credit in such cases.
Most of the EB1911 notices have long since been removed.  They are
useful for certain informational purposes, but it's not really a
standard practice.