[WikiEN-l] Time to reboot wikien-l

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:04:49 UTC 2007

On 11/21/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:09:41 -0500, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >BADSITES has proven to be an extremely convenient way of distracting
> >attention from the real issues regarding offsite harassment and
> >non-encyclopedic links; I suspect it has worked even better than its
> >author ever dreamed it would.
>
> Yes, I think you are right.  We had an IP turn up out of the blue
> yesterday and mark some current proposals as "rejected" due to
> BADSITES, including one that was specifically motivated by the
> rejection of BADSITES and seeks to do what the last ArbCom
> suggested, namely write a workable policy.
>
> Of course, it is incredibly important to WR that they retain the
> ability to add links.  Not because they want to, but because it
> keeps the site in the public mind.  Without the constant harping it
> would have been forgotten by now as just another festival of stupid.
>
> Guy (JzG)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Linking_to_external_harassment
essentially eliminates the ability to link to Wikipedia Review, which
fails at least four of the five "Should I link to it?" criteria in
"LINKLOVE".   If people stopped pushing BADSITES and looked at
something more like LINKLOVE they'd win over those of us who don't
give a fuck about linking to the Wikipedia Review but are unprepared
to delink slashdot.org from [[slashdot]] or newyorker.com from [[The
New Yorker]].  It's probably worth considering.

Cheers
WilyD