[WikiEN-l] A further descent into self-referential idiocy

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed Jun 6 05:20:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Sheldon Rampton wrote:
> (2) A presumption against publishing articles on people who have been
> victims of stalking, in cases where publication of an article on
> Wikipedia might subject them to additional harassment.

For a while I've thought something like "Wikipedia is not the creator of
news" should apply.  (Probably badly worded; reword as you wish).  If
creating a Wikipedia article itself helps to spread or advance something
described in the article, we shouldn't have it.  (This only applies when
that article specifically, not just Wikipedia in general, advances a cause.
We wouldn't delete the article for Internet or the one for Wikipedia itself.)

This would cover publishing an article about anyone famous for being stalked.
Creating a Wikipedia article inherently participates in the stalking, and
so should be avoided.  This would also cover GNAA; GNAA's name was
deliberately chosen so that using it would offend, and for us to have a
GNAA article would be assisting in GNAA activities.  (And even if its name
wasn't itself offensive, trolls want publicity. so having articles about
them--thus publicizing them--would violate this proposed principle.)

This is not current policy, but maybe it should be.