[WikiEN-l] A further descent into self-referential idiocy

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 07:50:22 UTC 2007

On 05/06/07, Sheldon Rampton <sheldon at prwatch.org> wrote:

> (1) No publishing of personal contact information such as address or
> a phone number if there is any objection by the person profiled.

I am really not convinced we should be publishing such details period
- we don't do it in cases where the person doesn't object, and if they
get added we generally remove them as veering over the line towards
advertising.

> (3) A non-absolute presumption against publishing articles on minors.
> By "non-absolute" I mean that this should be interpreted as one
> factor but not the only factor in determining whether an article
> should be published.

Incidentally, this person is not a minor - it's one of the details
that makes the case more interesting, because we can't fall back on
that as a cop-out to avoid facing the more fundamental questions...

...which are, can we really claim to write biographical articles about
obscure non-public individuals with a passing and tenuous claim to
fame?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk