[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia as moral tool?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Tue Jun 5 18:16:05 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> on 6/5/07 9:19 AM, William Pietri at william at scissor.com wrote:
>

>> That's not to say that we shouldn't suppress facts for moral purposes.
>> There are good arguments for it.
>>

> This is where you lost me, William. What do you mean?

Sorry. I was trying to avoid pointing too directly at the incidents that
triggered my thinking, as I didn't just want to dredge them up for yet
another round. I was thinking of the BADSITES foofaraw and some recent
BLP excitements, including Little Fatty and Bus Uncle. But I've seen it
elsewhere. I wasn't thinking of things like home addresses; I think
that's directory fodder, not encyclopedic material.

I'm not saying I agree with the people who are saying we should suppress
published newsworthy facts, like the names of the Bus Uncle characters,
or the bio we have on Daniel Brandt. I'm not saying I disagree, either,
as they have some excellent points.

I'm just saying that making the moral choices on behalf of our readers
rather than leaving it up to them makes me nervous, both because I'm not
sure where it will end and because I fear it will be the source of
unending disagreement.

Is that helpful?

Thanks,

William