[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia as moral tool?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 5 19:40:41 UTC 2007

Sean Barrett wrote:

>Marc Riddell stated for the record:
>

>>on 6/5/07 9:19 AM, William Pietri at william at scissor.com wrote:
>>

>>>That's not to say that we shouldn't suppress facts for moral purposes.
>>>There are good arguments for it.
>>>

>>This is where you lost me, William. What do you mean?
>>
>>Marc Riddell
>>

>I would assume that he is referring to how we handle BLP-style facts.
>Consider the home address and school attended by, say twelve-year-old TV
>actors [[Sullivan and Sawyer Sweeten]].  We have collectively agreed
>that those facts should be suppressed, even if we could reliably verify
>them.

I think that William used bad phrasing  to put these things under the
morality umbrella.  I agree with the spirit that there may be things
which are best left unsaid, but the attention that this phrase has
gotten detracts from the principal message.

Our primary intention remains to be inclusive.  Exceptions to that need
to be clear and unequivocal.

Ec