[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia as moral tool?

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 18:35:26 UTC 2007

William Pietri wrote:
> I'm just saying that making the moral choices on behalf of our readers
> rather than leaving it up to them makes me nervous, both because I'm not
> sure where it will end and because I fear it will be the source of
> unending disagreement.

I agree that making moral choices is not our business, and I'll go
further and say that a good chunk of our reputation derives from readers
realizing that we work hard to stick to the facts of any situation. But
every day that WP's visibility increases, there's going to that much
more pressure from outside forces who see NPOV as tantamount to
promotion of immorality. Our best defense is to be perceived as
zealously neutral and capable of taking on all opponents, an Internet
version of a Switzerland armed to the teeth against POV-pushers.

Stan