[WikiEN-l] FredBauder"clarifies"on attack site link policy

Blu Aardvark jeffrey.latham at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 23:16:44 UTC 2007

Fred Bauder wrote:
> The remedy was applied after a personal attack on MONGO was featured on the Main Page.
>
> Fred

I would honestly hope that this wasn't the sole reason. Because a
third-party satirical website which Wikipedia has no control over posted
a piece on its main page making fun of an editor, we're gonna have a
tissy and ban all references to it? Even going so far as to change all
links (/most/ of which were used appropriately) from
encyclopediadramatica (the actual site) to encyclopediadamatica (a
domain squatter filled with typical spam), thus destroying the point of
links in the first place?

Encyclopedia Dramatica is a satirical wiki designed to document internet
memes, drama, culture, and people, often done in an offensive manner.
Common sense dictates that, for this reason, there wouldn't normally be
a reason to link to it from Wikipedia. It isn't a critical site, and by
its nature isn't a reliable source. References in talk and userspace
should generally be avoided due to its offensive nature. However, the
are occasions where even a link to ED would benefit a discussion (and
indeed, prior to the ban on such linking, most every link would qualify
as productive), and Encyclopedia Dramatica, despite the warped consensus
to the contrary, is a notable website; if an article on it was ever
allowed to be created again, a link would be wholly appropriate in that
context.

But we're going to utterly refuse to link to it under any circumstances,
for any reason, because it made fun of MONGO in an article on him (that
didn't contain any personally identifiable information, mind you) that
was front paged. That strikes me as an attempt to use a cannon to kill a
fly.