[WikiEN-l] The Register decries Wikipedia's "censorship" via OTRS

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Jul 11 15:35:24 UTC 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 4:42 PM, Silas Snider wrote:
> Excellently said Geoff! I have always been amazed that OTRS volunteers
> believe that email is a valid way to serve legal notices.

That's an extremely unfair remark which entirely misses the point.

OTRS volunteers do not believe that email is a valid way to serve
legal notices.

In the Lava Lamp case, it was obvious what was going on... the
complaint was posted to the talk page LONG before an OTRS volunteer
took action.  Anyone could see what was going on.  "Bogus trademark
complaint".

What should one do if one sees that an OTRS volunteer has blanked a
page in such a case.  Ok, here's what I would say makes sense:

1. Look at the talk page.  Gee, look, there is a trademark
complaint.  Sounds bogus.

2. Email the OTRS volunteer to ask.  Ask Jimbo.

3. Respect that the OTRS volunteer is not "capitulating" or
"censoring" but rather dealing with a thorny customer service issue.
Discussions are underway to get more information.  Things will work
out soon enough.

Are there exceptions to this?  Sure, there always are.

--Jimbo