[WikiEN-l] Freedom of Speech in WP

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 31 11:29:53 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote

>I have been
> doing minor editing in WP for a year now and, time permitting, would like to
> participate more actively in the project. And, like anything a person is
> considering becoming a part of, I want to get a sense of its beliefs and
> values.
>
> My work and passion has been, is now, and probably always will be, persons
> and their interactions. That is why this issue is so important to me.

An argument I have produced before, is that bad language and aggressiveness as a routine form of interaction appeals mostly to the young and male. It happens that males 20 to 25 might be the most significant group here. I think it is also the case that such forms of verbal interaction and self-assertion are likely to put off many other demographic groups. So civility policy is one way of trying to broaden the base of contributors, or to retain people who profile is not a good match to those who think freedom of speech is mostly about the right to be f****** rude all the time.

Charles