[WikiEN-l] We really need to avoid the next Microsoft-Wikipedia bad publicity storm

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 17:27:30 UTC 2007

On 1/31/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/31/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 0. I submit that we really do need this.
> > 1. Most n00b-friendly interface possible. This is not a big problem.
>
> Remember my proposal a month or two ago for a big friendly "Report a
> problem" button that appears to anon readers of articles? That would
> then divide up into wizards for different categories of problems like
> copy vios or libel or whatever? Is that a good starting point?
>
> Steve

But we already have that! Click "Contact us" in the left sidebar, and
there you have a wizard-like interface. If you click "Report a
problem", you get to a page which has options like "An article has
used copyrighted content without permission" and "There's a problem in
an article about you or someone you represent". If I'd never seen
wikipedia before and found a problem with an article about me,
"Contact us" would be the first thing I click.

Granted, most of them leads to the otrs queue, but that's a separate
problem. When it comes to directing users to places with help, I think
we've made it as easy as it could be, short of posting a banner saying
"DOES THIS ARTICLE CONTAIN LIBEL ABOUT YOU?" at the top of every
article.

--Oskar