[WikiEN-l] Freedom of Speech in WP

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 31 12:26:44 UTC 2007

on 1/31/07 6:29 AM, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com at
charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:

> An argument I have produced before, is that bad language and aggressiveness as
> a routine form of interaction appeals mostly to the young and male. It happens
> that males 20 to 25 might be the most significant group here. I think it is
> also the case that such forms of verbal interaction and self-assertion are
> likely to put off many other demographic groups. So civility policy is one way
> of trying to broaden the base of contributors, or to retain people who profile
> is not a good match to those who think freedom of speech is mostly about the
> right to be f****** rude all the time.

Interesting. You know, as I read all of the responses thus far, the one word
that my eye and brain keep tripping over is "civility" - perhaps I am
associating it with the word "proper" - and that's a button word for me. The
only thing I have ever associated with the word civil is disobedience ;-).

Marc

--
Life is not a novel - it¹s a poem --- it¹s not supposed to make sense.