[WikiEN-l] Incivility, re: psychosis

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 00:11:16 UTC 2007

Christopher Thieme wrote:
> I just got admonished by "Mark" for being "uncivil" on this list with regard
> to a comment I made in my initial message on "Moving the Main Page."

Please don't be condescending or patronising when you address people.

> I don't think I was.  At least, from how I read the strict construction of
> the policy, I didn't say anything ruled to be incivility by the dictates
> of WP:CIVIL.

We go by the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law.

> And going back to my post on what psychosis might be hidden in some of
> users, I forgot one of the biggest problems underneath the surface of
> Wikipedia...
>
> We have too many humorless people.

We also have too many people who don't know how to act seriously.

> Humorless people who enforce WP:CIVIL thinking that something benign
> and rhetorical and not even mentioned in WP:CIVIL is "incivility."
>
> And those who don't realize that it's incivility to admonish others
> for acting with "incivility."

It was done privately, by a list moderator. Incivility is when I hit you
with the banhammer for being an annoying little @#$%.