[WikiEN-l] Incivility, re: psychosis

Mark Ryan ultrablue at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 02:02:43 UTC 2007

I certainly did not expect this issue to be taken to the mailing list
itself. Because you took the issue to the mailing list, I shall
respond to you on the mailing list.

The best reaction would have been to reply with something to the
effect of 'okay, I won't call people's arguments "b.s." or suggest
that they be "taken out and shot"'. Not to turn around and claim that
I am equally uncivil (for violating the "etiquette" which somehow
demands that people who do the wrong thing not be told they are doing
so), humourless, suffering from some sort of psychosis, and a dick.

I instituted a rule of civility on this mailing list a couple of years
ago in response to some extremely abusive posts by someone who
demanded to know what rule they had broken to get themselves moderated
on the list. It does not follow [[WP:CIVIL]] to the letter (in fact I
don't think I've even read that wiki page completely). It follows
common sense (specifically, the common sense of the list
administrators).

If you cannot see that calling people's arguments 'specious' and
'b.s.', and suggesting that the founder of such arguments should be
'taken out and shot' can be interpreted to be personal attacks, then
I'm not sure anything I say to you is going to do any good.

~Mark Ryan
WikiEN-l mailing list admin

P.S. Your emails are breaking mailing list threads in Gmail.