[WikiEN-l] Ephemeral nature of web pages - a silly idea?

Jake Waskett jake at waskett.org
Wed Jan 3 11:53:08 UTC 2007

A splendid idea for Internet-based research in general, and it's
surprising how few people do this (myself included, I admit).

In terms of Wikipedia sourcing, however, it may create (or overlook) a
problem: verifiability. What is the purpose, for Wikipedia, of doing so?

Is the purpose to be able to say, at some later date, "oh, that page
must've been deleted. Want me to email you a copy of the original?" If
so, is that verifiable? I don't think so - it may be impossible to
contact you, for example. So how do Wikipedia readers benefit?

On the other hand, if the page concerned contained quotations or cited
other sources that may help in locating a *different* source, then it is
certainly helpful, albeit indirectly.

My concern is that encouraging saving of pages - however unofficially -
may be seen to imply the former, perhaps undermining vital policies. But
this may be avoidable.

Jake