[WikiEN-l] Original research or common sense inferral?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Mon Apr 2 17:30:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Seraphim Blade wrote:
> Agreed. Allowing "straightforward interpretation" guts NOR.

Not allowing it guts everything.  The classic example is saying that someone
is a female lawyer when the sources separately say that they are female and
a lawyer.  To claim the person is a female lawyer is to draw an inference
(in this case, using a logical conjunction) that is not in the source
material.  We *have* to allow such things.  It makes no sense not to.

> What is
> straightforward, and what is over the line? What if I think my
> interpretation is straightforward and you don't?

The same thing you do if Wikipedians disagree about anything else.  We
routinely make decisions which include some degree of personal judgment;
why should "is this straightforward?" not be one of them?