[WikiEN-l] Original research or common sense inferral?

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 15:25:15 UTC 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 10:56 AM, John Lee wrote:

> On 4/2/07, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Apr 2, 2007, at 9:38 AM, Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>>> I completely agree.
>>
>> I completely disagree.
>>
>> Straightforward interpretation of primary sources is not original
>> research. It never has been, and it needs to remain that way because
>> of the number of notable articles about which there are not good or
>> usable comprehensive secondary sources.
>>
>> -Phil
>

> We're a tertiary source. If we go about the business of citing primary
> sources when there are no extant secondary sources, we've deviated
> from our
> purpose as an encyclopaedia.

Yes, but no prior encyclopedia has had the onerous requirement of
sourcing every statement either. They generally were content to pay
experts some money and get tertiary sources. This is possible because
the expert can fill in the holes and gaps between the secondary
sources with their own judgment and knowledge, which is itself,
functionally, a secondary source.

We've abandoned the experts-write-articles method. We can't fetishize
sources at the same time.

-Phil