[WikiEN-l] Libel of organisations or just individuals

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 28 14:51:55 UTC 2006

Simon Blandford wrote

> I'm a little unclear on this from reading Wikipedia's policy on libel.
>
> It seems concerned only with libel of individuals. What is the policy
> with regards to organisations? In the UK the libel laws cover
> organisations as well as individuals.

I've just a few minutes ago added a section on 'Defending interests' to [[Wikipedia:Conflict of interest]]. This is a guideline piece about people defending on behalf of institutions, or people.

WP's policy on libel and so on is clearly that we don't want it. The general thrust, I think, is to refer as much as possible back to existing policies, so that non-neutral edits are dealt with using conventional weaponry. On what is defamatory, I'm sure we generally stick to 'truth is a defence'.

Charles