[WikiEN-l] Bill Knapp's slaughter

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 28 15:02:01 UTC 2006

Phil Sandifer wrote

> Going to their talk page, asking, and waiting a day is asking them to
> do things. Slapping an article with {{delete}} is being aggressive,
> hostile, and bitey.

In an ideal world, we'd have enough admins to have a new pages patrol along those lines. One reason we don't is the sheer quantity of submission of parochial stuff, like this. Would Britannica have an article on Bill Knapp's? No. Is it obvious reference material, like sports statistics? No. Can we legislate for people who start with no idea of what an encyclopedia is, traditionally? No, we have started from the view that participation here is for people interested in the encyclopedic mission, not for some project we'd eventually announce in the area of trivia.

Charles