[WikiEN-l] Reverting without reading - another example

The Uninvited Co., Inc uninvited at nerstrand.net
Thu Oct 26 03:14:52 UTC 2006

Since there still seem to be people on this list who believe that
inappropriate reversions are a sufficiently rare event to be unworthy
of notice, I draw your attention here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Administrative_Appeals_Tribunal&diff=82373162&oldid=82365667

Now, admittedly this is not as egregious a case as the one I cited
earlier as an example.  However, it appears to me that the admin
involved reverted simply on the basis that (a) it was a deletion of a
large block of text (b) performed by an IP (c) without an edit summary.

Even a quick skim should reveal that the deleted text is an irredeemable
editorial rant written by someone with an axe to grind.

Greg Maxwell has made the point earlier that if, as a community, we want
to revert any large block deletions by IPs without edit summaries, we
would be better served to modify one of the many existing bots to do so
rather than encourage people to do it.  And I believe that Greg and I
are in agreement that such blind reversions are a bad thing, regardless
of whether they are performed by people or bots.  People should be
expected to read, particularly so in an era when we have so many
anti-vandalism bots operating.

And yes, we now have an OTRS ticket on this.

The Uninvited Co., Inc.
(a Delaware Corporation)