[WikiEN-l] Editors, who are not editors

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 10:32:31 UTC 2006

On 22/10/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/10/06, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been increasingly worried about one editors contribution
> > history lately. The vast majority (possibly over 90%) of their last
> > 500 edits have been in Wikipedia/Wikipedia talk space. It is my
> > understanding that Wikipedia: space is for editors to use to organise
> > the development of articles.
> >
> > My question is how does an editor--who spends all their time in
> > Wikipedia space--know what they are trying to achieve?
>
> The real question is what was before those 500 edits. Are we talking
> someone who only sits in that namespace ever, or are we talking a
> several-year-standing highly active user who happens to have been
> focusing on project work in the last few weeks?
>
> The answers for the two cases are very different.

Hi,

Sorry for not saying which editor it is so that others can cross check
them. Basically, they have been around for 2 years. It is possibly not
so bad as they are discussions proposals constantly and possibly
finding that their best contribution to Wikipedia can be in just
discussing proposals.

They have little to do with any backlog related issues though, which
would not be so concerning, if they have an area of interest that they
were improving on the side. Which is why I put that down.

According to a contribution history from
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~interiot/cgi-bin/Tool1/wannabe_kate , they
do not have any pages in Main space with over 10 edits, 9,7,7 are the
top three. I am wondering why they are here, then I look at Wikipedia
space and the highest page has 407, followed by 382, 326.

I just do not see how they are practically improving the encyclopedia
with these types of distributions of edits.

Peter Ansell