[WikiEN-l] cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox

Jeffrey Latham jeff462 at centurytel.net
Wed May 31 20:41:11 UTC 2006

Tony Sidaway wrote:

>this was a deletion review, with a view to restoration, of a userbox
>that said the owner was a satanist.  I have canceled it on the grounds
>that such a template could only bring the project into disrepute.
>
>I'm confident that this is best for Wikipedia. I don't think the goal
>of producing a high quality encyclopedia can be served by encouraging,
>though the provision of templates saying "I'm a satanist" and the
>like, the use of Wikipedia's website for social networking and
>coordination of work between adherents of satanism. It could only
>bring the whole enterprise into disrepute to permit such abuse.
>Therefore it's inappropriate to hold a DRV-style debate where
>traditionally the item is restored if a certain proportion of editors
>vote to restore it. We cannot make such a decision on the basis of
>votes. Perhaps a discussion on the talk page of the template might be
>appropriate, though I think it would require a very strong case to be
>made for this particular template

OH NOES! The sacred userbox! To the gallows!

Actually, I no longer have strong views either way on the userbox issue.
I can see such a statement as being potentially useful, but I really
wish that Wikipedia could come up with a concrete policy on these cute
little boxes that would satisfy both sides of the issue.

Personally, I think all userboxes but the generics should go, and that
people would just use {{userbox|WhateverStatementIwantHere}}. It would
seem to solve the problems regarding the promotion of userboxes in
template space, would leave (relatively) simple code on userpages, could
still be indexed on the subpages of the userbox "Wikiproject", and
wouldn't have the bothersome qualities associated with transclusion of
most userboxen. Of course, people would have to agree to get rid of
those bloody useless categories that go with them, too...

Then again, some people just like using Wikipedia as a battleground.
(I'm guilty, myself, of falling into this mindset)