[WikiEN-l] Are these userbox templates NPOV?

Prasad J prasad59 at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:39:04 UTC 2006

Hi Mark,
But then again different people find different things inflammatory. If
I were to add a userbox saying "This user supports the publication of
Prophet Muhammad" cartoons", mainly (perhaps only) Muslims are likely
to find that inflammatory. Again if I added a userbox proclaiming that
"This user supports Iran's nuclear programme", then Americans are
likely to find it offensive. Therefore the issue of what constitutes
inflammatory userboxes becomes subjective. The majority of Wikipedians
are American,therefore anti-U.S userboxes are more likely to be termed
inflammatory. And this issue is not confined only to userboxes-it
happens in articles too-the issue of the article "US-Israeli threats
to attack Iran" is one example.The issue of whether the U.S Navy
intentionally shot down an Iranian passenger jet seems to have been
dismissed (despite a U.S Navy invesigating officer's observations to
the contrary) by the simple,yet effective arguement -America is too
noble to stoop to such a level. It happens all across the Internet
actually. I spent 20 minutes trying to explain to one chatroom user
why the U.S Department of Homeland Security does not have the right to
arrest me (a foreign citizen) for what I say about the war in Iraq!