[WikiEN-l] Reply to Tony on advocacy - resend with new title

julieharding1 at charter.net julieharding1 at charter.net
Fri May 5 21:36:05 UTC 2006

---- Fred Bauder <fredbaud at ctelco.net> wrote:

> On May 5, 2006, at 8:42 AM, Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 5 May 2006 08:22:16 -0600, you wrote:
> >

> >> All users are entitled to respect and to cooperation in participating
> >> productively in the project. These "rights" are not enforceable in
> >> any court, but are a part of our common culture. They are enforced.
> >>

> > Yes, of course.  But Tony's fundamental point was being ignored: there
> > is no right to advocacy.  I would have said that advocacy is the
> > precise opposite of what Wikipedia is for.
> >
> > Perhaps I need a nice cup of tea and a sit down.
> >
> > Guy (JzG)
>
> There is a bit of talking by one another here. Reasoned polite
> advocacy of policy positions is welcomed. Tendentious biased editing
> (especially when you are working in a group) is not. However, there
> are numerous situations where which is occurring is not immediately
> clear. Often the touchstone is that the nasty behavior goes on and on
> and on and on and on and at some point you realize you are engaging
> in deliberate behavior calculated to subvert neutral point of view
> (or in some other way create some tendency which simply doesn't
> belong in a reference work.
>
> Fred

> Absolutely Fred!
_How come noone is trying to pinpoint the nasty behavior, (especially if it is repetative,) and rid of it in your 'reference work?'  This nasty behavior adverts the mind and draws newcomers into thier cat-calling and insulting.   Thier actions are absolutely premeditated.  It's obvious, because they have to think of what they are writing before they write it down. They go after people who they think may be of a threat to them.   I believe that everyone deserves a chance to at least try to be a part of Wikipedia.  But if they don't respect it, or if they take advantage of it, then they don't belong here.  They will only cause you headache. -Julie