[WikiEN-l] We need a policy against vote-stacking

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Thu May 4 17:47:51 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Ben McIlwain <cydeweys at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Way way way to subjective. RFC and arbcom would probably be a better option.
>
> That would take weeks, and by then the vote-stackers have long gotten
> away with it.  And I don't think vote-stacking is too subjective.  If
> you see someone recruiting votes, deal with them.  It's pretty simple.

Vote stacking is bad. But telling other people about things they might
be interested in participating in is not -- in fact it is often a good
way to combat vote stacking (people post things to this list, for
example, when it is clear that a small but organized POV minority is
trying to change things for the worst). The line between the two?
Blurry, quite subjective.

If you can come up with a policy which could be used to make a clear
distinction between the two practices, feel free to propose it. But
simply saying that vote stacking should be against the rules doesn't
quite get us there. There cannot be a rule which would prohibit people
talking to other editors about decisions taking place on other pages,
in fact our mediation process recommends people do just that.

FF