[WikiEN-l] Trivia and popular culture sections

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Mon Feb 27 15:07:09 UTC 2006

Peter Mackay wrote:

>The keyword is "indiscriminate". "Unimportant" is nowhere merntioned.
>Organising small but interesting facts into a trivia section, where there
>are enough to warrant doing so, is hardly indiscriminate.

(This is not a real example; I just made it up off the top of my head.)
If the trivia section opens with a bullet-point stating "Paul McCartney
was introduced to drugs by his dentist", has an entry in the middle
along the lines of "McCartney's fifth house was bought for X pounds
sterling", and ends with "Paul McCartney's dog, Martha, was the basis
for the Beatles' song 'Martha My Dear'", yeah, I'd say that's pretty
indiscriminate.  Of course people will say, "Well, that's useful
information!" Rightly so. But there's no reason for it to stand alone in
the trivia section. The information on McCartney's drug behaviour can
stand in a section on its own (because you know, it's not like that's
the only thing that can be said about him and drugs). So can the real
estate purchase information, perhaps as part of a subsection on
McCartney's wealth and earnings. And the information on the song
inspiration? It doesn't even belong in the article (although the part
about the dog can easily be merged with a section on personal life). The
rest can go in the song article instead.

Information in trivia sections should not be there at all -- it either
belongs elsewhere in the article, or it does not belong there at all.
While I accept that people will just add the trivia section back (with
more indiscriminate information), that doesn't mean the section should
be kept. Ideally the information in it should be merged with another
section of the article (or used as the basis for a new section), or
removed entirely. I've never found a piece of trivia that didn't fall in
either of the latter categories.

John