[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny

Ben Emmel bratsche1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 02:58:09 UTC 2006

On 2/21/06, Joshua Griisser <JDGRII8338 at ngcsu.edu> wrote:

> I'm almost speechless with rage at Jimbo's unilateral deletion of the
> encyclopedia article [[Brian Peppers]] - not to mention his locking (via
> [[User:Danny]] and [[WP:OFFICE]]) of [[Harry Reid]] for *five days*.
>
> As I feared, userboxes have proven to be the canary in the coal mine. Now
> it's articlespace that is being jerked around.
>
> Wikipedia ultimately must decide whether it wants to be Jimbo's personal
> fiefdom, or be "the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit". The two are
> clearly mutually exclusive at this point.

You do realize that angry people call the office of Wikimedia very angry?
And that all sorts of people write in to the email addresses, which we then
have to deal with via OTRS clamoring for libel damages, article deletion,
and various sorts of things. This is just one way  that we can help/deal
with all these people, who frankly don't care for editing, and get Wikipedia
on its way. Trust Jimbo: if something important gets deleted, you'll hear
the community soon enough.

--
Ben Emmel
Wikipedia - User:Bratsche