[WikiEN-l] Arbcom has completely lost its mind

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 16:43:26 UTC 2006

On 2/10/06, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2006, at 22:10, Sam Korn wrote:
> >
> > I'd go as far as saying that all content saying that someone breaks US
> > law should be forbidden as well.
>
> Why? Not only do we have articles about people who have broken US (and
> other countries) law, we can expect contributors who have too. After
> all [[Civil disobedience]] is important, just to mention one thing.
> I dont expect most people who have broken US law to write about the
> laws they have broken and be irredeemably NPOV. In fact I wonder how
> many excellent contributors we have in prison - it is contributions
> that count (in fact if I was incarcerated at Her Majesty's Pleasure
> right now it would give me far more time to work on wikipedia -
> maybe I should go and rob a bank).

Obviously there are times when this is not applicable.  But, in the
majority of cases, it is not useful to Wikipedia for users to proclaim
that they break the law.  It's a public relations exercise, not a
legal necessity.  And to say that you are in prison is quite different
from saying "I break the law regularly".

--
Sam