[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Kat Walsh mindspillage at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 17:49:14 UTC 2006

On 12/6/06, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Allow me to briefly put my gender privilege to good use

I wish that you had. Instead, some of your antagonism and rhetoric
were only pouring gasoline on the discussion, and your
characterization of the positions taken by those you've singled out
seems at best mistaken. Casting those you see as your opponents in an
unfairly negative light damages your own side and your own
credibility.

The question of whether a single-sex list is 1) needed and 2)
appropriate for Wikimedia to host is a valid one. For discussion by
everyone. Its existence does *not* affect only the women; it affects
the whole community. (Those women who would at the present time like
to discuss the issue in a more private forum can do so -- and have
done so.) So I would like to hear discussion from everyone it affects,
including you -- but if you're not going to raise the tone of that
open discussion, don't join it. Which applies to everyone, including
several others in the many spawned threads, but particularly those who
would otherwise claim to value respectful discourse and consideration
of others' needs.

-Kat

--
"I am not a pretty girl / that is not what I do / I ain't no damsel in
distress / and I don't need to be rescued / so put me down punk" - Ani