[WikiEN-l] Policy across different languages

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Aug 30 16:36:03 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:

>Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:
>

>>I think Jimbo needs to step in and talk to some bigwigs at
>>ru.wikipedia.org and sort this out. Maybe even wave his magic wand if
>>need be (after all, he more than anyone else has been arguing for this
>>for a long time). We cannot have an encyclopedia without a
>>verifiability policy, it's just not possible in the long run.
>>

>Given the translation, I'm not sure that's necessary.  It appears only a
>handful of people really oppose verifiability in general, and most of
>the worry is that this is going to be some draconian policy where any
>uncited sentence is going to be deleted 48 hours from now or something.
>I'd be inclined to see what happens and allow the community to craft
>their policy, only stepping in if it goes horribly awry or something.

Supporters of draconian policy anywhere have a great capacity for
enraging people.  Their policies tend to be designed around the worst
case scenario, which only rarely happens.  The result is that people who
would otherwise behave and operate within self-controlled parameters too
easily step over the rigid bounds set by the rulemakers who have a
vested interest in literal interpretation.  People who wouldn't dream of
being vandals get their toes stepped on.

With most, but not all, unverified material there is no citation
emergency inviting dire consequences if the material isn't immediately
removed from the data base.  Alternative proposals pending verification
need to be available in most cases.  The suspect material needs to be
identified, and perhaps moved to the talk page where verification can
proceed at a more leisurely pace.

Ec