[WikiEN-l] Policy across different languages

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Aug 30 17:55:02 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:
> Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:
>> I think Jimbo needs to step in and talk to some bigwigs at
>> ru.wikipedia.org and sort this out. Maybe even wave his magic wand if
>> need be (after all, he more than anyone else has been arguing for this
>> for a long time). We cannot have an encyclopedia without a
>> verifiability policy, it's just not possible in the long run.
>>

> Given the translation, I'm not sure that's necessary.  It appears only a
> handful of people really oppose verifiability in general, and most of
> the worry is that this is going to be some draconian policy where any
> uncited sentence is going to be deleted 48 hours from now or something.
> I'd be inclined to see what happens and allow the community to craft
> their policy, only stepping in if it goes horribly awry or something.

Yeah, totally.  I have been to Russia and I hung out with some of the
Russian Wikipedians.  They'll be fine. :)  It'll be a noisy fight with
good people coming down in subtly different but respectable places, a
few trolls trying to cause trouble, a few idiots blathering on about
nothing, and in the end the middle way will more or less prevail to
reasonably good results.