[WikiEN-l] [[New anti-Semitism]] and violations of NPOV re: top image

jkelly at fas.harvard.edu jkelly at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 24 21:13:18 UTC 2006

  Hi,

Quoting Scott Stevenson <wikinetscott at gmail.com>:
>Got a bit of a dispute going on over on [[New anti-Semitism]]...
>... surrounding an image and neutral point of view.

  I don't think that this is a very helpful way to think about this image usage.
 It is true that we've done very little thinking about the way in which images
might give undue weight to minority or fringe positions.  I'd go so far as to
say that we seem to be comfortable taking a very naive position on what can be
communicated through photography, and I think it would be interesting to have a
thoughtful discussion about that.

  But this doesn't seem to be your concern.  Instead, you're arguing that the
photograph being used is not an example of what it is supposed to be
identifying.  Jayjg is actually referring you to the correct page -- we do make
an exemption in our No Original Research rule for images.  If a Wikipedian takes
a picture of tree, we don't ask that the assertion that it is a tree first be
published in a reliable source.

                      Jkelly