[WikiEN-l] Images and original research (was: [[New anti-Semitism]] and...)

Cheney Shill halliburton_shill at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 00:22:42 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 8/25/06, jkelly at fas.harvard.edu wrote:
>> I think that there is something smart about making this distinction, which I
>> failed to do, but I'm not sure that it is one we usually make. If I state that
>> my tree picture shows damage from acid rain, do I need a source for that? What
>> level of interpretation are we comfortable with?

>If anyone is disputing the fact that it's acid rain damage, you should
>find a source. If anyone is asking for a source just to be difficult,
>use your own judgment.

>Seriously though, on FPC you'd be amazed by the number of
>misidentifications. Photographers who are not bird/lizard/animal
>experts frequently misidentify the subject of their shot. And for
>photos that are all about context, a source is even more important: a
>photo of a few hundred protestors tells you *nothing* unless you know
>roughly who they are, where they were, when it was, and what they were
>protesting about.

I like jkelly's extended example and your elucidation, even though it didn't mention snakes.  With regard to the photo, I think it's espeically important to have a source given the artistic nature of the picture photographed and that their are no clear anti-semite indications included in it.  And, of course, there's the small issue of photo-manipulation.

To me, the picture looks more like a cynical interpretation of the entire situration where everyone is making a deal with a devil, especially considering that the devil is wearing armbands of Nazis, the US, and the Israel flag and in writing you have "COUNTERFEIT JEWS".  I could easily imagine Jews holding this at a peace rally, especially when you see it in context of an anti-capitalism sign held next to it and the anti-Iraq-war rally was in 2003, not this summer:
http://www.zombietime.com/sf_rally_february_16_2003/

~~Pro-Lick
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Halliburton_Shill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pro-Lick