[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 06:04:40 UTC 2005

--- El C <el.ceeh at gmail.com> wrote:

> At the event, I am only familliar with two offsite
> hate and/or hit
> lists: this one, and the Sollog one. It's crucial,
> then, to remain
> more-or-less grounded to what is actually taking
> place, as opposed to
> abstract ideals.

Well, keep in mind that certain users in the past have
made listed accusations against Wikipedians as being
of a certain opinion (to pick a random example),
which, from a certain point of view was indeed a kind
of "hate list." That was tolerated for a substantial
amount of time before people wized up to how
ridiculously improper it was to do so.

Certainly Im a bit less big on blowing flame back on
personal attacks as I was in those days, but I do
remain clear on that particular history and understand
the atmosphere of incivility that accusations and
harrassment (and yes their flaming) can bring about.
So, I undersand the issue of wanting to nip
persecution in the bud, but as far as the less
rationally-based comments for this topic go, the "pot
meet kettle" description still stands firm.

We agree its good to keep the moral highground, but my
moral highground *isn't situational --call it
"abstract ideals" if you like.

SV