[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Rob gamaliel8 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 18:53:32 UTC 2005

Your argument would be compelling were we talking
about something like first ammendment free speech
rights in the democratic US.  But he is not entitled
to a "day in court" because wikipedia is not a
democracy, it is not a social experiment, it is not a
soapbox, a public forum, a commons, a message board,
etc., etc. It is an encyclopedia where such a hateful
and absurd dogma as Nazi-ism has no place.

For the record, yes, I am in support of oppressing
Nazis with every legal means at our disposal, and
perhaps some illegal ones if we get really bored.  I
do not find this incompatible with the support for the
free speech rights of Nazis in general, and they can
speech all they want on their own message board and
their Nazipedia, when and if they ever get it working.

And somehow, I manage to sleep at night just fine.

Gamaliel

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org:

With all that righteousness on our side, who could
possibly want to
waste time on archaic betises like formal charges, due
process, the
right to confront one's accuser, and similar nonsense?

After all, giving the accused his "day in court" would
distinguish us
from various disgusting people, like, oh, say, the Nazis.