[WikiEN-l] An admin misused his privilages to block me...

Essjay -Wikipedia- essjay-wiki at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 21 04:15:54 UTC 2005

This raises a related point: why does the autoblocker use the name of the
admin that placed the original block? I realize there is a benefit to having
a specific person to request an unblock from, but I also see a lot of abuse
of this.

Anyone familiar with the constant AOL blocks of WBardwin will recognzie what
happens: Rather than "Admin X, you blocked someone and I was autoblocked by
mistake" the statement is always "Admin X, you blocked me. You should be
more careful about autoblocking AOL IP's. You admins are always placing
autoblocks against me and I can't get any work done." as if the blocking
admin has any control over the autoblocker!

We can't see the IP of the person we are blocking, in order to know if it is
an AOL IP, and we can't see the IP of anyone who is autoblocked (it is
masked on the block list). Autoblocks don't show up in our blocklog, so the
only recourse we have is to either not block anyone for any reason, or once
we place a block, spend the rest of our lives refreshing the blocklist every
thirty seconds in order to immediately unblock everyone who is ever
autoblocked.

Can something be done to either 1) remove the admin's name from autoblocks,
and/or 2) make autoblocked IPs visible both in the block list and the admins
block log so that we can watch for AOL IP's? (Both would be the best
solution.) As it is, all we can do is sit back and wait to be attacked for
things that are completely out of our control.

Essjay

8/20/05, Jack Lynch <jack.i.lynch at gmail.com> wrote:
>You should see [[Wikipedia:Consensus]]. You seem to be thinking of
>unanimity. I can't speak to the rest of it.
>
>Jack (Sam Spade)
>
>On 8/20/05, Dai Grepher <dai_grepher1051 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >  My user name is Dai Grepher, my I.P address is 68.41.169.128, I am
>sending
this message because the administrator Andrevan has misused his abilities to
block me from editing any page but my own for 24 hours. While I know that
this
is a temporary block, I still believe that Andrevan should be reprimanded
for
misuse of administrating privileges, and I believe that he will continue to
misuse his powers unless he is reprimanded. The message I receive when
trying to
edit is as follows:

> >  "User is blocked
> > >From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
> > You have attempted to edit a page, either by clicking the "edit this
>page"
tab or by following a red link.

> > Your user name or IP address has been blocked by Andrevan.
> >
> > The reason given is this:
> > Autoblocked because your IP address has been recently used by "Dai
>Grepher".
The reason given for Dai Grepher's block is: "Ignoring consensus,
vandalizing
user pages. Blocked for 24 hours, as warned."."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Metroid:_Zero_Mission
> > I have respectfully stated that a consensus on the issue is not
>applicable
to the article, since I have provided a substantial amount of evidence that
disproves the popular theory and those that have voted have clearly ignored
the
facts that I have presented. Also, this consensus does not reach beyond the
limits of Wikipedia to users holding a different belief and therefore does
not
represent the targeted fanbase. Under Wikipedia consensus policy, a
consensus
cannot be used to determine which side has "won" a dispute. It can only be
used
to see if there is a consensus, which there is not since I disagree with it
and
the opposition. Andrevan is using the consensus incorrectly as justification
for
changing the article to reflect his own opinion and also for blocking my
account.

> >  I have suggested that the article remain ambiguous, and not bias toward
their side or my own while dispute resolution takes its course. The others
debating the issue and myself have agreed to contact mediators and
arbitrators
to resolve the issue fairly. Andrevan makes it clear on the Zero Mission
talk
page listed above that he believes the popular theory and has stated orders
change the article to directly contradict me (Dai Grepher, found under the:
The
article should not be ambiguous, section of the article), which shows a
direct
prejudice against my theory and a complete disregard of the facts that I
have
presented that at the very least seriously question the popular theory.

> >  I have edited the article to be non-partisan and I have also made
>additions
to the page, which by Wikipedia policy is not classified as a revert.
Andrevan
is the one who has reverted and vandalized the page by ignoring the NPOV
policy.
Also, Andrevan has not posted warnings of blocking my account on my talk
page,
as Wikipedia's policy for handling vandalism states. I however have posted
these
required steps on his talk page and also The Missing Link's talk page
because
they continue to change the article to be biased.

> >  The second reason, an accusation that I have vandalized other user
>pages is
untrue. Andrevan is misusing his powers to preserve his own personal belief,
rather than protecting the page to be non-biased and allowing dispute
resolution
to take its course. By doing so, and blocking me, he is hindering the
peaceful
resolution of the dispute. I respectfully request that the administrator
Andrevan be given the full reprimand that he deserves.

> >  I urge you to please look into this matter at the talk page listed
>above,
and handle the issue responsibly. Thank you very much.