[WikiEN-l] Copyright situation

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:24:45 UTC 2005

This leads to a legal question I've had for some time and comes up
again and again regarding jurisidiction.

Somebody has recently pointed out on another page that in Russia,
banal (straightforward) photographs of 3-D objects do not apparently
generate copyrights (whether this is true or not, I'm not sure, but
let's just assume it is for the moment). In the US, such is not the
case -- any 2-D image of a 3-D object is likely to generate its own
copyright, however banal.

So can we say that images of this sort that never leave Russia -- that
is, are not republished anywhere else -- are in the public domain? I'm
leaning towards "well, probably no," mainly because it would only seem
to matter if we were being hosted on Russian servers and under Russian
copyright laws. That is, if somebody sued someone over this in court
here, they couldn't point to a Russian copyright law either way on
this. On the other hand, would they even be granted standing?

How much do international treaties affect us on this? WIPO, etc.?
Obviously we have US laws to deal with, but who else? I know that one
issue is re-use, but I think there's a more direct issue than that
which I still find confusing.

FF