[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Wikipedia e-mail -- fair use

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 18:36:10 UTC 2005

On 8/3/05, Sam Korn <sam.korn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I (smoddy -- this is my second email address) sent an email to
> User:Crosstar about fair use on a logo at [[Nationalist Movement]] and
> [[Crosstar]].  I received this email back in response (my original
> email is at the bottom).
> I am forwarding the email here as I am not subscribed to the legal mailing list.

I forwarded it to the legal mailing list. Alex has responded on that
list, and also publicly at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyright_problems where he
writes:

"I doubt that this symbol, also called an arrow cross, can be
copyrighted or trademarked and is therefore in the public domain. It
is basically a copy of a popular fascist symbol used in Hungary before
World War II and if anyone "owns" it this entity is defunct and could
not now assert any rights against such claims [456] [457] [458]. It is
a variation of a common symbol that is used for many purposes[459]. It
is stated that this symbol has its origins with the Magyar tribes of
circa 1000 A.D. [460] Just because someone is using a common symbol
does not mean that they can then claim copyright ownership or
trademark status of that symbol that has a well-documented prior
history. — (c) Alex756 17:09, 3 August 2005 (UTC)"

By the way, anyone can post to that list even if not subscribed. See
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Juriwiki> for details.

Angela.